
I had been writing blogs on myspace for the past couple of months, but a friend suggested I try writing on an actual blog site, so here goes!
This weekend my friend, Shane, took me riding up to Lake Livingston. I've been on dirt bikes in the past, but this was the first time I've ever been on a trip on a motorcycle. We rode on a Harley-Davidson touring bike. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was a very comfortable ride. Riding on the bike gave me the sense of being a part of nature. While most vehicles block out the environment, on the bike I could feel the wind against my body, and smell and hear the world around me. The weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky. It was awesome!
In Livingston we met up with Shane's dad, brother and his girlfriend. We had a good time hanging out, playing horseshoes, talking and laughing. Later we went back to the dad's house and roasted marshmallows over the bonfire, and ate gooey brownies. Yummy!
Spending the day out there made me realize how much I miss the country! I spent about half of my childhood living in a small town, and the other half living in the city. I would spend most of my summers at the ranch or on the beach in Mexico, or visiting friends in small towns. While the city has conveniences (movie theaters, malls, restaurants), there is nothing like the simplicity of small town living.
Looking back, the best parts of growing up were spent in the country. Picking fresh apples in the orchards, riding 4-wheelers, chasing chicks around the pen, target practicing in the desert, fishing, hiking, camping, swimming at the lake, building bonfires with friends, spending time with family and friends.
I remember having a sense of such freedom in the country. While in the city I was kept on a rather tight leash, always having to let my parents know where I was, who I was with, when I would be back, etc. The country seemed to have a lenitive affect on my parents. I guess since in small towns everyone knows everyone, they felt like it was a safer environment, so our parents gave us the freedom to come and go as we pleased.
Remembering the joys I had growing up in the country, it makes me sad that I live in the city and that my kids are missing out on the experiences I had! Well, who knows, perhaps someday after I finish school I can open up a practice in a small town, or I can buy a ranch house to spend the weekends at. I would gladly trade the convienieces and business of city living for the comforts and simplicity of small town life.
This weekend my friend, Shane, took me riding up to Lake Livingston. I've been on dirt bikes in the past, but this was the first time I've ever been on a trip on a motorcycle. We rode on a Harley-Davidson touring bike. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was a very comfortable ride. Riding on the bike gave me the sense of being a part of nature. While most vehicles block out the environment, on the bike I could feel the wind against my body, and smell and hear the world around me. The weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky. It was awesome!
In Livingston we met up with Shane's dad, brother and his girlfriend. We had a good time hanging out, playing horseshoes, talking and laughing. Later we went back to the dad's house and roasted marshmallows over the bonfire, and ate gooey brownies. Yummy!
Spending the day out there made me realize how much I miss the country! I spent about half of my childhood living in a small town, and the other half living in the city. I would spend most of my summers at the ranch or on the beach in Mexico, or visiting friends in small towns. While the city has conveniences (movie theaters, malls, restaurants), there is nothing like the simplicity of small town living.
Looking back, the best parts of growing up were spent in the country. Picking fresh apples in the orchards, riding 4-wheelers, chasing chicks around the pen, target practicing in the desert, fishing, hiking, camping, swimming at the lake, building bonfires with friends, spending time with family and friends.
I remember having a sense of such freedom in the country. While in the city I was kept on a rather tight leash, always having to let my parents know where I was, who I was with, when I would be back, etc. The country seemed to have a lenitive affect on my parents. I guess since in small towns everyone knows everyone, they felt like it was a safer environment, so our parents gave us the freedom to come and go as we pleased.
Remembering the joys I had growing up in the country, it makes me sad that I live in the city and that my kids are missing out on the experiences I had! Well, who knows, perhaps someday after I finish school I can open up a practice in a small town, or I can buy a ranch house to spend the weekends at. I would gladly trade the convienieces and business of city living for the comforts and simplicity of small town life.
10 comments:
You did it!!!! =)
You'll have to check out my post today! It's about the weekend and you!!! =) Hopefully some of my readers will jump over and check you out!!!! =)
My BFF I was telling you about Frannie from Atlanta...I'm sure she will come over and say hi!!!!
A few other friends are DC Day's (Alix...she is so sweet), CPA Mom, Crazy is As Crazy Does (Rachel), SJ (Sarah), Steffi, My 4 Kids, anglophilefootballfanatic, erincraig, Mandy, Lisa Marie, Robin at Pensieve....that is a few of the people that come over to my page...I met most of them through Frannie!!!
You can go to my blog and go into the comments and click on that person's name and it will link you to their site...you can start check out a few people that way!!!! =)
We are doing a swap...
You can go to my blog and check it out! You can enter it too!!! Let me know if you have any questions?!?!?! Swaps and contest and things like that are a GREAT way to meet people!!!!
Yeah, your first NON-"J" commentor...LOL!
Welcome to the blogosphere! It's addictive!! I tell you, "J" is one of my favorite people in the world...you are so lucky to "know" her in person...
Talk to you soon - email me for the supersecret passcode to my private blog - if you want it.
Hello Leanne, welcome to the blog world. I'm the sweet one ;) form J's site!
I hope you have as much fun blogging as we all do, you've made a great start meeting J she is the best.
Your childhood sounds so wonderful I am jealous! I grew up in a mining town in the North of England quite possibly the most depressing place on earth, that I high tailed it out of asap!
Welcome to the bloggy world, Leanne! Of course, I came via J!
In some ways I wish that I lived in a small town too. I know that my kids would love it!
Welcome to the bloggy world! Jeannie sent me your way! I just thought I would say hi. Sounds like you had a great weekend!
Welcome to blogging!! I came over from "J"'s blog! I agree, you are so lucky to "know" her! She is super cool. Come by and check out my blog, I look forward to following your blog!!
Hi! I'm "J's" best friend from Atlanta!!
Welcome to blogging! You will find there is nothing like it. You will meet some of the most supportive people in your life here. We are one big family that really takes care of each other... and we are glad you are here!!
You are right-there is nothing like a small town. The lessons that can be learned in life there are plentiful.
Post a Comment